Saturday, April 18, 2009

No Certainty Attached

What if someone bought three identical camcorders, one for Australasia, one for USA and one for Europe and sent each off an epic journey? 

The cameras would go from place to place, with contributors recording their bit and then sending the camera on.  There are plenty of cameras now that record to those tiny sd memory cards.   A card big enough to hold 5-10 mins of good quality video is inexpensive (about ten bucks).  People would buy their own their sd cards and send them 'back to base' at the same time as sending the camera on.  The cameras are very compact so the cost of postage wouldn't be much.

I reckon that doing it that way would add a really nice dimension of continuity, community and trust, which would become part of the story.  It would also remove the 'access to equipment/technology' problem that some are clearly facing. 

Also, speaking pragmatically, if all the footage is shot in a consistent format and on the same medium, it will make the assembly exercise so much easier.

So, who would buy the cameras?

Well, I was thinking 'me' (although I'm open to suggestions!). 

Maybe there is some tiny risk in sending a few hundred bucks worth of very fenceable gadgetry to a list of people that I know mainly as pseudonyms (I'd probably draw the line at anons!); but I've run this past my wife - who's not a big Church fan but really likes the doco idea - and she says 'go for it'.  

When I first floated this high falutin' nonsense two weeks ago I fully expected there may be some cost.  And frankly, if this is what it takes to get our numbers into the twenties or thirties (or higher) - and to get those numbers talking here - then I'm more than happy to do it.

What do you think?

(imagine bookending the film with some footage of the cameras being sent off and arriving home)

4 comments:

captain mission said...

that's a great idea although i have no idea how much it would set you back buying the camera. you could always deduct the cost of the camera from the $ made from the dvd, i guess we could give the rest of the $ to the band so they can keep recording music. it may be an idea to wait until we get some more numbers though, what do you think?

Some Bloke said...

I agree about getting the numbers up first. I sort of hoped that this post might stir up some enthusiasm.

I don't really like making plugs on SK's blog but I'm not sure how else to get us noticed.

Maybe I'm just impatient.



I've been looking pretty closely at what's available.

Strong consensus online actually seems to be that the best way to go is 'mini-dv' tape based camcorders. They're not as tiny as the flash-card cameras (500g as opposed to about 200g - so postage will be more) but take much better quality pictures. The technology is only a few years old but is already being phased out - meaning that you can get a very good camera for not very much. As a guide, there's a perfectly suitable Canon available in Darwin for $260 - so I wouldn't be spending a fortune.

I really would have no interest in getting the investment back (I have kids that will happily be the beneficiaries of whatever comes home).

Warpedjohn said...

( Yet another ) brilliant idea from your goodself Richard,

my gut feeling is that you can trust any regulars here 100% with a camera.

anyhow if anyone holds on to it for too long ( without explanation) we will know who they are and they will not risk being " named and shamed" on various Church sites / blogs a la a low rent tv exploitation show ! Jerry Springer like)

in case anyone doesnt get it , I'm joking btw. I dont think this will happen.

heatherdaydream said...

Great idea.

Random comments;


you will have to consider the NTSC v PAL issue.
I know most video and dvd palters will play both now...but PAl is better quality, so you'd want to shoot everything in the PAL switch.

Also the 24fps v 25 fps issue, which will have implications for post synching which you will have to do),

Format isn't a huge issue but is a hassle when it comes to editing...try to get and AVID suite

xKittykat

Followers